Friday, January 12, 2007

Jan 12, 2007


"Nursing is the easiest job I've ever had and the hardest job I've ever had".

I am a Nurse.

It's funny...I never wanted to be a nurse. When I was a child I had dreams of being a psychologist or a financial guru or an actress--but never a nurse. I actually thought all nurses wore short dresses and were dumb. Was I ever wrong. When I was 22 years old one of my high school friends was diagnosed with lukemia and it scared me to death. I had this overwhelming fear that it could have been any one of us. I mean, how fair was it to Megan and her family that she had lukemia? She was the only birth child her parents had, she was super smart and voted most likely to succeed. She was working in the capital (of Wisconsin) and had her whole life ahead of her. I looked up her diagnosis and learned everything I could about it. That's what drew me to nursing. I went to school to become a nurse and was scared every day that I would fail. Nursing school is hard! LOL!


But I persevered and have been a nurse for 10 years now. I can't imagine my life any other way. There are days I am tired of working and pray we win the lottery so I don't have to work again--but I definitely wouldn't be the same person without this experience in my life. It's funny-my uniform feels so comfy. It's like putting on my favorite pair of sweats. And, although I get frustrated at work quite often, my coworkers feel like family. I've been very fortunate in that I have been able to work my nursing career around my family life. The majority of my career has been working in the hospital in labor and delivery, newborn nursery and post-partum care. I've also done time in med/surg, pediatric case management and camp nursing. My goal right now is to focus on bereavement photography and to get a program started at our area hospitals. A large part of my life is and has been nursing and, of this, I am proud.

15 comments:

Michelle said...

i like how you put all the tools of your profession on your uniform! very creative!

nomo wino daph said...

It's nice to meet you! Great picture and what great blogginG!

Dar Kaso said...

Nice photo of the uniform and you story is great too. Takes a special person to put up with sick people all day long, more power to ya.

"Owen" said...

There is always something that comes good out of every yucky situation. I am so sorry for your friend but so grateful that you have selected a very important profession. Great story and a great picture to accompany it.

Andrea said...

Very cool shot- I love how you did the edges. I also enjoyed your writing!

I have so much respect for nurses. I couldn't have made it through L&D without them!

--cherry said...

such neat composition of your photo --- all 3 of my SIL's are nurses & 2 good friends are too...i always have medical advice whenever i need it =). It takes a special kind of person to be a nurse and the world is made better by people like you.

Loved your story...and your photo!!

jordan.krogman said...

ITA -- nursing scrubs are just like jumping into a cozy, well-worn pair of sweats! Too bad the rest of the day has to be so tough! LOL

Anonymous said...

What a great photo! Love it!
Cari

Rebecca said...

Awesome composition, love the border too!

Stephanie said...

Nice ideas to use the tools of your trade! Like your border too!

cristina said...

i have great admiration for nurses. partly because i hate science and mostly because our lives are often in your hands. i've spent my share of days at the hospital with my 2 young ones (tetralogy of fallot-Daniela, and craniosynostosis-Andrea) and believe me, i've seen what you guys do and it's simply amazing. thank you for sharing your life with us.

Sara D. said...

Very nice photo, 1st impression, it was a picture for Gray's Anatomy LOL. So very thankful for people like you who put in the hard work to be able to help people!!!

Donna said...

wow, great compostion. I love how you layed out your work essentials to complie this picture what a great shot. TFS

Andrea said...

Love this picture! I wish I had done something like that in the "introduction" week...

Sarah Heggie said...

What a wonderful post and photo about your life as a nurse! Love the border too! And so loved hearing about your "other life". If I went back into nsg, L&D is where I'd want to work...L&D nurses are the best!

Two Peas Photo Challenge